Mobile Computing | News
Ruggedized Toughbook Tablets Get Faster Chips, Increased Storage
The Panasonic Toughbook H2 ruggedized tablet PC offers a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5-3427U CPU and 500 GB internal storage.
Panasonic has upgraded its line of ruggedized tablet PCs, the Toughbook H2. The new model gets improved CPU performance and beefed-up storage specs.
The 10.1-inch, XGA-resolution Toughbook H2, which is MIL-STD-810G- and IP65-certified and designed to survive a 6-foot fall, now features an Intel Core i5-3427U processor, with speeds up to 2.8 GHz. It also comes equipped with an internal, heated, shock-mounted, 7,200 RPM, 500 GB hard drive (or optional 128 GB solid state drive). Battery life has also been improved in the new model, with dual, hot-swappable batteries that offer up to seven hours of "uninterrupted work," according to Panasonic.
In addition to improved core specs, the new H2 also offers improved communications technologies, including Intel Advanced-N 6235 802.11 a/b/g/n wireless and Bluetooth 4.0+EDR standard. 4G LTE and Gobi mobile broadband are optional.
Other features include:
- Sealed, fanless design certified for protection from rain, vibration, dust, shock, sand, altitude, freezing/thawing, temperature shock, humidity, and "explosive atmosphere";
- Integrated handle;
- Touchscreen and stylus;
- "TransflectivePlus" display technology, which includes an adjustable LED backlight (1 nit to 500 nits) and a reflective layer that can produce up to 6,000 nits in daylight;
- Strap with dome hand support for using the device while standing up; and
- Various accessibility features, including touchscreen and wheelchair mount;
- Optional security features, such as fingerprint scanner, Kensington lock slot, Computrace, and others.
The Toughbook H2 weighs in at 3.5 pounds and measures 10.8" (l) x 10.6" (w) x 2.3" (h).
The Panasonic Toughbook H2 is available now starting at $3,349 with a three-year warranty. It ships with Windows 7 Professional 32- or 64-bit. Additional details can be found on the Toughbook H2 product page.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.