Virtualization | News
Parallels Desktop 7 Launches with Lion Integration, New Mobile App
Parallels has launched Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac with Mac OS X Lion integration and more than 90 new features and enhancements.
Parallels Desktop for Mac allows users to run Windows and Windows-based programs on Mac OS without rebooting their computers. Features new to this version include:
- A new Parallels Wizard, designed to simplify the process of moving to Mac OS X by automatically moving programs, data, and media to the appropriate folders and allowing users to purchase, download, and install Windows from within the program;
- Support for 7.1 surround sound;
- 1 GB video memory;
- New Apple style standard and help documentation;
- The ability to use Mac's iSight or FaceTme HD camera in Windows applications;
64-bit graphical user interface; and
- The ability to run multiple copies of OS X Lion and Windows.
The company has also released a new version of Parallels Mobile for iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touches. The app allows Parallels Desktop 7 users to access and control their Mac and Windows desktops from a Mac mobile device. Features new to version 7 include:
- The ability to view Flash-based media and websites on iOS devices;
- Improved support for external displays and keyboards;
- The ability to play audio files from a virtual machine;
- Copying and pasting of text between mobile devices and virtual machines; and
- The ability to set the app to connect to a Mac and virtual machines only when a Wi-Fi connection is available.
Current users of Parallels Mobile will receive a free upgrade. New users can currently purchase the app for the introductory price of $4.99. The standard price will be $19.99. More information is available at parallels.com/mobile.
Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac costs $79.99 for new users. Users of version 6 can purchase an upgrade for $49.99. More information is available at parallels.com.
Joshua Bolkan is the multimedia editor for Campus Technology and THE Journal. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.