Counseling | News
Starfish Releases Advising Module
Starfish Retention Solutions has launched a new module, Starfish Advising, designed to work with an institution's existing degree audit system and help advisors as they assist students.
Features of Starfish Advising include:
- Templates, configurable by the institution, for creating academic paths;
- Automatic monitoring of academic plans;
- Notifications for advisors and students when an academic plan is not followed;
- Information to help project demand for future courses; and
- The ability to capture data, such as transportation issues or work schedules, that may not be available through existing student information systems.
"Staying on course to earn a degree can be difficult for students, particularly at a community college where we serve large numbers of nontraditional students," said Beverly Walker-Griffea, senior vice president for student services at Montgomery College, in a prepared statement. "We have been very pleased with the academic planning functionality from Starfish. The system is helping our advisors document for our students what a path to success can look like. Having positive, future-looking conversations grounded in the reality of each student's life creates a very solid foundation for our students to be successful with us."
Already in use by 20,000 advisors in the United States, Starfish Advising is now generally available. Visit starfishsolutions.com for more information.
Joshua Bolkan is the multimedia editor for Campus Technology and THE Journal. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.