VMware Fusion 2 Expands Hardware Support, Improves Networking
VMware has released VMware Fusion 2.0, a major update to the desktop virtualization solution for Mac OS X that has been in public beta since back in July. The new version, a free upgrade for users of VMware Fusion 1.x, focuses on expanded support for Mac hardware configurations, including additional graphics capabilities, as well as networking, security, storage, and application sharing improvements.
Fusion 2.0 adds a number of enhancements over the previous release, most notably expanded support for hardware and software. This includes enhanced support for graphics cards like the Nvidia 8800 GT and ATI Radeon HD 2600 and 3870 with improved 3D performance; compatibility with DirectX 9.0c and Shader Model 2; hardware acceleration for 720p, 1080i, and 1080p HD video; multiple display support; and expanded and improved USB support, including BlackBerry Pearl sync, faster access to USB storage, and overall improvements to dealing with USB-based input and output devices.
On the software side, it now includes support for more than 90 operating systems, 64-bit Vista Boot Camp, Microsoft Office 2003 and Office 2007 activation, experimental symmetric multiprocessing, driver-free printing, and window resizing (including full-screen mode on all Mac displays).
Other improvements include:
- Expanded support for virtual storage, including the ability to resize virtual disks;
- A wide range of networking improvements;
- An integrated utility for importing Parallels Desktop and Virtual PC virtual machines, as well as Boot Camp partitions;
- A new settings editor;
- Improved management through a new Virtual Machine Library;
- A free 12-month subscription to McAfee VirusScan Plus;
- Enhancements to the Unity environment; and
- New application sharing features, including the ability to open Windows apps in the Finder and the ability to open files within a virtual machine in Mac applications.
According to VMware, all virtual machines created with Fusion 1.x are compatible with VMware Fusion 2.0.
VMware Fusion 2 is available now for Mac OS X. It's a free upgrade for users of Fusion 1.x. The upgrade version is available for download here. The full versions is available as an electronic download for $79.99 for a single license. Five- and 10-seat packages are also available, as is a trial edition. Further information about Fusion 2 can be found here.