Mobile Computing | News
Brandeis University Deploys Mobile Campus Life App for iOS
Students who own iPhones at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA can now access campus information quickly and from anywhere thanks to the launch of a new app.
The app, dubbed Brandeis Mobile, was developed by the university and EZ Axess, based in Sunnyvale, CA. Features include:
- Links to links to blogs, including those of the university president, Fred Lawrence, and the Science at Brandeis and Global Brandeis blogs, as well as BrandeisNOW stories about the university;
- An interactive campus map, which identifies where the user is currently located while searching and allows users to search for parking and buildings;
- Videos available on the university YouTube channel and alumni videos;
- Campus photos, with links to academics, arts, athletics, campus, historic, special events, and student life categories;
- Team information, stories, photos, scores, and schedules;
- Emergency phone numbers for on- and off-campus emergencies and the Public Safety Department; and
- Access to the university's library catalog, LouFind.
Looking ahead, the university also plans to add an events calendar. "Adding a calendar of university events is high on our list," said Bill Burger, associate vice president of communications. "One of the many good things about an application like this one is that it's never 'done.' We'll look to the Brandeis community for feedback and suggestions for what might make the application even more useful in the future."
In addition, the university has created a mobile-friendly website compatible with Android devices that provides the same functionalities.
The iPhone app is free and can be found at the iTunes Store. It is available to students and the public.
Brandeis University sits on 235 acres with 100-plus academic and residential buildings. Enrollment is more than 3,000, and the university has approximately 1,600 faculty and staff.
For more information, visit brandeis.edu.
Tim Sohn is a 10-year veteran of the news business, having served in capacities from reporter to editor-in-chief of a variety of publications including Web sites, daily and weekly newspapers, consumer and trade magazines, and wire services. He can be reached at email@example.com and followed on Twitter @editortim.