IT | News
Red Hat CloudForms Adds Supports for Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform
Red Hat has announced Red Hat CloudForms 3.0, the latest version of the company's cloud management platform, which now supports the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform and offers additional management capabilities for Amazon Web Services (AWS).
CloudForms is a management platform for virtual, private, and hybrid cloud infrastructures. It installs as a virtual appliance and lets cloud administrators centrally manage and automate workload lifecycles through self-service provisioning and IT process workflows, as well as assess capacity and utilization, enforce quotas, and orchestrate post-provisioning operations.
Previous versions of the platform offered enterprise-level management and automation tools for cloud infrastructure platforms such as VMware vSphere, Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization, and AWS. The new version adds Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack to the list of supported platforms and expands support for AWS.
New features in Red Hat CloudForms 3.0 include:
- Enterprise-level management and automation capabilities for the Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform;
- Ability to integrate OpenStack into existing environments through unified management; and
- Ability to view, request, and deploy workloads in AWS from the same management framework used to manage services in their private cloud and virtual infrastructures.
CloudForms 3.0 is available now. Further information can be found at redhat.com.
In related Red Hat news, the company has announced beta availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 and a preview of OpenStack-M, an open source deployment and management solution for OpenStack-powered clouds. OpenStack-M will be integrated into future versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform.
New features in Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 Beta include:
- Full support for the Foreman lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers;
- Full support for OpenStack Orchestration (Heat), an orchestration engine to launch application stacks;
- Full support for OpenStack Networking (Neutron), previously called Quantum, which delivers networking-as-a-service between interface devices such as vNICs (virtual network interface controller);
- Full support for a technology preview of Ceilometer, which provides OpenStack resource instrumentation that can help support service monitoring and billing systems with the acquisition of customer usage data;
- Integration with Red Hat CloudForms 3.0; and
- Enhanced integration with Red Hat Storage Server 2.1.
Red Hat customers can access the beta version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform 4.0 at access.redhat.com.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.