joule 1.1 Gets New Chat, Forum Tools
Moodlerooms has released an update to joule, its learning management system based on the open source Moodle platform. The latest release, version 1.1, expands support for chat and adds new forum features and enhanced administration.
Moodlerooms is a Moodle partner that provides services centered around the Moodle learning management system for both K-12 and higher education. joule is Moodlerooms' learning management system built around Moodle that provides course management, content management, a learning repository, and various reporting and assessment tools. It also offers course conversion utilities, extensibility, in-system help, authentication, automation of some administrative tasks, and themes that allow institutions to brand their systems.
The latest release expands on joule's features and provides some enhanced administrative functions. Some of the new features include:
- New synchronous chat support for audio, video, and text;
- Automated course archiving;
- SIS grade book integration;
- Support for SAML 2.0 for single sign on;
- Improved video support, giving users the ability to "add video content to courses, create a synchronized playback of a video and document, and allow students to submit videos to assignments through Kaltura";
- Single sign-on support for Live@Edu;
- Support for site-, category-, and course-level themes; and
- Exam management using Respondus 4.0.
In addition, it also provides a range of enhancements to forums, including sorting topics, flagging posts, attaching multiple files, and allowing anonymous posts.
joule 1.1 is available now. Further information is available here.
Executive Producer David Nagel heads up the editorial department for 1105 Media's education publications — which include two daily sites, a variety of newsletters and two monthly digital magazines covering technology in both K-12 and higher education.
A 21-year publishing veteran, Nagel has led or contributed to dozens of technology, art and business publications.
He can be reached at email@example.com. You can also connect with him on LinkedIn at linkedin.com/profile/view?id=10390192 or follow him on Twitter at @THEJournalDave (K-12) or @CampusTechDave (higher education). A selection of David Nagel's articles can be found on this site.