Coding Bootcamps

Jobs Report: 97 Percent of Flatiron School Graduates Land Jobs

While two major coding bootcamps shut down earlier this week, another released its latest jobs report and says it had the strongest student outcomes to date.

The Flatiron School based in New York, NY has released an independently verified jobs report every year since 2014 — “pioneering the concept of outcomes reporting and setting a standard of transparency in educational outcomes,” the latest report reads. It’s the company’s commitment to accessibility and transparency that have allowed its programs to stay open for five years now, says Adam Enbar, co-founder of the Flatiron School.

"Flatiron School invented accountability and transparency in the coding bootcamp space. By pioneering CPA-validated jobs reports, it pushed the industry in a direction where countless groups and associations are forming to create new reporting standards for education,” Enbar said in an e-mail. “Dev Bootcamp and Iron Yard were forced to close because the bar has been reset for transparency and accountability in education … students are skeptical of any institution that does not provide that level of transparency. It’s no coincidence that the schools that are releasing jobs reports are thriving while the ones that aren’t are failing."

The latest report, 2017 NYC Outcomes Report, conducted by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, offers “information about historical completion and job placement statistics and metrics” for about 460 students who graduated from one of the following programs between Aug. 2, 2015 and Dec. 31, 2016:

For this round of reporting, Flatiron School boasts 456 of 460 students graduated (99 percent). In addition, 97 percent of “job-seeking students” (about 310) who completed the programs said that they were hired. Based on the data, it appears the majority of students find full-time salaried roles or contract positions by the second or third month after graduation.

The starting salary on average for these graduates is $75,997. Graduates from the in-person iOS programs earned the highest salary — $81,363 on average working full-time.

Other key findings in the 2017 NYC Outcomes Report:

  • About 42 percent of job-seeking students across all programs accepted job offers at small companies with less than 50 employees. Thirty-six percent accepted jobs at medium-sized companies with 51-500 employees and 20 percent chose to work at large companies with 501 or more employees.
  • Of 192 job-seeking students from the full stack web development programs who were hired, 100 percent had entered technical roles — with 90 percent entering the software engineering field and the other 10 percent going into product management, QA, data analytics, technical teaching and other technical roles.

View the full jobs report here (e-mail registration required).

About the Author

Sri Ravipati is Web producer for THE Journal and Campus Technology. She can be reached at sravipati@1105media.com.

comments powered by Disqus

Campus Technology News

Sign up for our newsletter.

I agree to this site's Privacy Policy.