IT Trends | News
Liberty U Taking IT Services Online
- By Dian Schaffhauser
Shortly, fast-growing Liberty University will be replacing 59 IT management tools with on-demand IT services. The Lynchburg, VA-based institution will be adopting Service-now.com to automate much of the process-related work of IT. This private religious university has nearly 12,000 residential students and 34,000 online students, up from 19,000 students five years ago.
"A flexible and intuitive IT platform will be critical in helping us scale our IT services to support our school's remarkable growth," said Nick VanWingerden, director of IT logistics.
Liberty U, which evaluated 13 different IT service management tools before making a final selection, said it plans to use Service-now in a number of areas:
- Incident, problem, change, release, configuration, knowledge, demand, availability, and resource management;
- IT service portfolio planning, service catalog, and IT cost management;
- Application dependency mapping, discovery, and configuration management;
- Task and project management; and
- Management of physical assets and processes.
IT staff across the campus will have access to service offerings through a Web portal.
Dian Schaffhauser is a senior contributing editor for 1105 Media's education publications THE Journal and Campus Technology. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @schaffhauser.