Security | News
University of Minnesota To Host Cyber Security Summit
The Technological Leadership Institute in the University of Minnesota’s College of Science and Engineering is hosting the First Annual Cyber Security Summit on October 3.
The event, which will take place from 7:30 to 11:45 a.m., at the university's Coffman Memorial Union, will bring together leaders from the government, business, and nonprofit sectors to discuss the United States' readiness for digital infrastructure security issues.
“Protecting against security threats cannot be accomplished by the sole effort of any entity acting alone,” said Gopal Khanna, a senior fellow at the University of Minnesota’s Technological Leadership Institute. “Rather, the combined vigilance of government, technology developers, and industry serves as the best protection for all.”
Keynote speakers will be William Barker and Ron Ross.
Barker is associate director and cybersecurity adviser to the Information Technology Laboratory at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. He plans, directs, and implements the institute's cybersecurity policies and programs, and implements the laboratory's strategic plans.
Ross is a senior computer scientist and fellow at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. His areas of expertise include information security, testing and evaluation, and risk management. Ross leads the Joint Task Force Transformation Initiative Working Group, a joint partnership with NIST, the Department of Defense, the intelligence community, and the Committee on National Security Systems to develop a unified information security framework for the federal government.
The agenda for the event is as follows:
- 7:30 - 8 a.m.: Registration and continental breakfast;
- 8 - 8:10: Welcome remarks by Gopal Khanna, senior fellow of The Khanna Group;
- 8:10 - 8:15: Introduction by Massoud Amin, director, Technological Leadership Institute;
- 8:15 - 8:30: Opening remarks;
- 8:30 - 8:35: Introduction to keynote, William Barker;
- 8:35 - 9:30: Keynote by William Barker: "National Strategy for Trusted Identity in Cyber Space";
- 9:30 - 9:45: Break;
- 9:45 - 9:50: Introduction to keynote, Dr. Ron Ross;
- 9:50 - 10:45: Keynote by Dr. Ron Ross: "Enterprise Risk Management";
- 10:45 - 11:45: "Linking Public and Private Sector Resources to Strengthen Our National Security," a panel with public and private sector representatives. Moderated by Kathy Grayson, reporter for the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal. Confirmed panelists include Christopher Buse, chief information security officer, State of Minnesota; and Michael L. Kearn, CISSP, NSA-IAM, vice president and information security officer, Interest Rate Derivatives and Principal Investments Group, Wells Fargo Securities.
The event is open to private and public organizations, and discounted rates are available for government employees, students, and faculty.
To register or for more information, visit cybersecuritysummit.org.
Tim Sohn is a 10-year veteran of the news business, having served in capacities from reporter to editor-in-chief of a variety of publications including Web sites, daily and weekly newspapers, consumer and trade magazines, and wire services. He can be reached at email@example.com and followed on Twitter @editortim.