Mobile Computing | News
U Tennessee Martin To Launch New Mobile App
The University of Tennessee at Martin (UT Martin) will replace its current mobile app in an attempt to broaden its utility for students and faculty.
The University chose Blackboard Mobile to replace its current mobile app, citing integration of the Blackboard Learn coursework management platform into the mobile experience, along with campus and student life features, as deciding factors.
"Our goal is to strengthen institutional traditions and to create lifelong affiliations with our university," said Tom Rakes, UT Martin chancellor, in a release. "The new mobile app will help us achieve this by enhancing students' connection with our university through the technology available with today's mobile devices."
Features of Blackboard Mobile include:
- Maps with search functionality for specific campus buildings and local transit information;
- Augmented reality using the camera and GPS functions of mobile devices to display building information in an interactive 3D display that can also provide historic facts, hours of operation, and walking distance from the user's location;
- Course catalog with links to instructor profiles and links to class location in the maps module;
- A Library module that allows access to information on Library resources including details on call number, author, and availability. The module also provides direct communication with a librarian; and
- User photo and video hosting.
Blackboard Mobile also provides a Software Development Kit to clients, allowing the university to design custom modules, specific to students' mobile needs, within the app.
"We didn't just want to 'check the box' of having a mobile application," said Craig Ingram, interim director of UTM's Information and Technology Center and Web Services, in the release. "Blackboard Mobile offers the full spectrum of capabilities we were looking to bring to our students, and we look forward to working with Blackboard to continue to build on and enhance our mobile platform."
The University of Tennessee at Martin is a primary campus of the University of Tennessee System. It serves 7,750 students and offers 17 baccalaureate degree programs in more than 100 fields.
More information about Blackboard Mobile is available at blackboard.com.
Kevin Hudson is a freelance journalist based in Portland, Oregon. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.