ShareLoader Appliance Automates Remote Backups
Crossroads Systems has started shipping a new appliance designed to automate backups of both on site and remote systems--SurePath ShareLoader. The appliance allows for backups of saved files on user machines (Windows-based) and also allows those users to retrieve lost data themselves, with the aim of reducing "IT overhead."
ShareLoader is a centrally managed 2U rackmount appliance that integrates into existing back-up environments and combines disk and tape media for archiving and disaster recovery of data stored on user machines, including remote users' laptops--data not typically backed up. It does this by emulating a unique drive for each individual system, providing a library that can be shared by up to 100 machines. So individual users can initiate both data backup and recovery.
Other features include:
- Hard disk capacity; 3.0/2.5 TB;
- Tape capacity (integrated): 9.6 TB;
- Supports Windows-native backups, IBM Tivoli Storage Manager, Symantec/Veritas Backup Exec, HP Data Protector;
- iSCSI protocol over standard Gigabit Ethernet;
- Controls for protecting against unauthorized access.
The appliance is managed via a Web-based interface that provides event logging, notification, and reporting. It can also automate tape migration based on defined storage thresholds and tape rotation policies.