Digital Media | News
Kaltura Boosts LMS Integration with New Version of Cross Campus Media Suite
Kaltura, an open source online video platform developer, has released a new version of Cross Campus Media Suite, a video solution designed for educational institutions that is optimized to deliver video on a variety of devices and manage media content across multiple systems.
The new version of Cross Campus Media Suite introduces additional integration with Blackboard, Moodle, and Sakai to enable features such as sharing video across courses and improved search capabilities with Blackboard, sharing between Moodle users, and internationalization capabilities and mobile delivery support with Sakai. The Kaltura MediaSpace Application version 4.0, Campus Tube, now supports user uploads, recording and screen capture, separately managed channels, and other interactive features.
"We have been using Kaltura's solutions for over two years now, and the results have been outstanding," said Jama Coartney, head of Digital Media Lab, UVA Library at the University of Virginia. "During the 2011 academic year, over 8,500 audio and video clips were made available to students as part of an integrated component within the learning management system. Not only does Kaltura provide a range of solutions for all of our video needs, they continue to develop new video capabilities as technologies evolve."
Key features of Kaltura Cross Campus Media Suite include:
- MediaSpace video portal for teaching and learning;
- Video plugins for Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai, Desire2Learn, and other LMS platforms;
- Kaltura Management Console (KMC) interface for centralized media management;
- Native support for multiple content accounts;
- Video authoring and collaboration tools, including webcam recording, media upload, synchronized video-PowerPoint tool, clipping, trimming, commenting, and sharing;
- In-depth analytics;
- Support for mobile and tablet devices;
- Video search capabilities, including in-video search of subtitles, captions, and transcripts;
- Integration with existing campus systems, and flexible APIs for additional integration; and
- Software-as-a-service or on-premises options.
Further information about Cross Campus Media Suite is available at the Kaltura site.
Leila Meyer is a technology writer based in British Columbia. She can be reached at email@example.com.